Thursday 22 January 2009

“COOL BRITANNIA”; NO IT’S SUPER COOL COUNCILLOR BEASANT!

Last night I read a few articles in the latest edition of Total Politics, and enjoyed reading Sarah Mackinlay’s “Cool Britannia”. In some ways I found it a little spooky; because it appears that I am not very different to many of our Liberal Democrat MPs.

Apparently our MPs prefer to listen to either Pop or Rock according to some recent surveys; while on the other hand the Tories much prefer to listen to Classical – I have one or two Classical CDs but not many, and it must be some years back since I last played one on my CD.

If I were to be honest, I must admit that I am a genuine 60’s child. I was born in 1953, and I can remember listening week in and week out to Radio Caroline and other radio stations. All I wanted to do was to listen to my present day heroes: the Beatles; Sonny and Cher; Gerry and the Pacemakers; the Rolling Stones; Donovan; Bob Dylan; the Beach Boys; the Who; Cream; Pink Floyd; Dusty Springfield and Simon and Garfunkel – they were all number ones for me.

However, I am definitely not a Cliff Richard fan like my fellow Liberal Democrat Councillor Doug Pickett: he not only likes Cliff he is perhaps Cliff’s Number One Fan!

I am now just wondering what I have let myself in for, because I know within a few hours of posting this article I am going to take some stick from my fellow East Marsh Councillor, Jon-Paul Howarth, but at least we will find out what music these up and coming politicians like. I am sure Jon-Paul’s taste could be very similar to Jo Swinson, Liberal Democrat MP or other MP of a younger generation, but we will just have to wait and see!

No comments: