Saturday 24 January 2009

TRADE IN SEAL FUR PRODUCTS - LOCAL EURO MP WANTS INTENSE DEBATE


Local Euro MP Diana Wallis MEP’s report on the trade in seal fur products has now been published and the Liberal Democrat MEP is urging a period of intense debate.

“I have now put my report on the table and this should be the beginning of a period of intense debate both amongst my parliamentary colleagues and with the wider public we represent.

Already in fact I have had very many letters and emails from people right across Yorkshire & the Humber and I expect many, many more!

“My report sets out an alternative option to that proposed by the European Commission by using robust labelling requirements for seal products sold in the EU. I’ve done this largely with the intention of provoking thought and debate about what we are doing. I am only too well aware of the deeply held concerns many have over animal welfare and the treatment of these beautiful wild animals. Equally, we should have respect for small rural communities, whose fragile traditional cultures and way of life we have limited right to challenge. It will be a difficult balancing act to satisfy all sides.”

On Wednesday 21st January, the European Parliament’s Internal Market Committee held a hearing on a possible ban on imports of products derived from seals.

Diana Wallis MEP’s report will again be considered by the Internal Market Committee on 12th February, with a vote in the full Plenary of the European Parliament expected in April.

No comments: