Thursday 30 October 2008

A YOUNG GRIMSBY ACTOR WHO WAS BROUGHT UP ON THE EAST MARSH HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR A PRESTIGIOUS FILM AWARD.


A young Grimsby actor who was brought up on the East Marsh, and attended Shalom Youth Club has been nominated for a prestigious film award.


Tommy Turgoose who won a 2006 British Independent Film Award for best newcomer – is nominated for the best actor category in the 2008 awards.


Tommy (16), who finished his GCSEs at the Oasis Academy, Wintringham in the summer, was shortlisted for his role in Somers Town.


The British film was inspired by the regeneration of the eponymous neighbourhood in London between the Euston, Kings Cross and St Pancreas stations.


The film’s director, Shane Meadows, who also worked with Tommy on This Is England, is nominated for best director.


Tommy, who is now at college, said: “Everything I do with Shane I seem to get nominated for.
“It’s really exciting to be up for the big award. It’s the one most actors work towards.


“When you have been nominated for best actor, that’s the best it gets.


“Working with Shane was a really great experience the second time.


“When he told me I had got the part I was buzzing, I’m really glad that I got to work with him again.”


“I’m not expecting to win, I know for a fact that Michael Fassbender is going to win.”


Fassbender, who starred in The Hunger, has attracted Oscar buzz.Tommy added: “If I don’t win I would like it to be him because he’s a good mate of mine.”


Somers Town is also shortlisted in the best screenplay and best British independent film categories.

No comments: